15 Amazing Facts About Human Brain
Below are the 15 Amazing Facts About Human Brain –
- Human brains cannot feel any pain as it doesn’t have any pain receptors. Doctors can perform brain surgery on a patient when they are awake. So how do we feel pain? A nociceptor and the sensory receptor sends a signal to the spinal cord which in turn alerts the brain for a danger.
- 60% of your brain is made up of FAT.
- An average brain weighs around 3 – 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg).
- 40% of the brain is white matter and 60% is gray matter.
- Gray matter- The brain’s gray matter is made up of neurons, which gather and transmit signals.
- White matter- The white matter is made up of dendrites and axons, which create the network by which neurons send their signals.
- Your brain can sense your own touch, Hence you cannot tickle yourself.
- Your brain requires 20% of your blood and oxygen to function properly.
- A Normal Human beings will have an average of 70000 thoughts per day.
- Your brain consists around 100 billions of neurons which is about 15 times of the human population on earth.
- Many believe that we only use 10% of the brain. This is a common misconception because each and every part of the brain has its own function and used for different purposes. Read more on10% of brain myth.
- The total energy consumed by the brain is approximately 25 Watts which is sufficient enough to glow a light bulb.
- Your brain is most active when you are sleeping.
- If blood does not flow to the brain for 8-10 seconds then the person will be unconscious.
- The neocortex (Latin for “new bark” or “new rind”), also called the neopallium is the portion of the human brain which is responsible for language and consciousness.